From The Kitchen
Ask any guest what one of their best memories of Boyden House is and most will reply without hesitation, the food!
So, with you in mind, some of our (and your) favorite recipes will be added here for your pleasure. Enjoy!
This recipe is from Paula McMullen, Karthaus, PA
We made this Yummy creation in small plastic “deli” cups for our crowd after the Coast Guard Parade. It
really looked like a kid’s treat…they loved it and then adults would take a bite and say “What is this?”
It’s great as a filling for a graham cracker crust, but I love to fill little cups and freeze them for whenever
you need to serve a treat.
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 29 oz. crushed pineapple, drained (get creative on the fruit!)
- 11 oz. mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup nuts (walnuts or pecans) I added a T of butter and toasted the nuts just to add a few more
- 1 tub (16 oz.) Whipped Topping, thawed
- 2, 9” Graham cracker pie crust
Combine the first five ingredients and then stir in the Whipped Topping.
For individual servings, spoon filling into small cups or ramekins or “deli cups with covers” Add graham
mixture to the bottom or top. Sit back and wait for the RAVES!
Total preparation time: 15 min
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Oats
- 1/2 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1/4 cup Flax Seed
- 1/4 cup Sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup Raisins or dried cherries
- 1/4 cup Chopped nuts/almonds/walnuts etc
- Mix eggs, oil, honey and milk with a wire whisk, set aside.
- In separate bowl, add oats, baking powder, salt, and sunflower seeds. Whisk around and add cherries and almonds.
- Grease loaf pan, cupcake tins or round bowl and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes. Yummy served with yogurt!
- 1 loaf White Bread
- 6 tablespoon Butter
- 3/4 lb Yellow cheese shredded
- 1/2 lb Swiss cheese shredded
- 16 Eggs
- 4 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 4 Green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon German mustard
- 1 teaspoon Red pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups Sour cream
- 1 cup Parmesan
- Break bread into a greased 9×13″ pan-or 2 pie pans.
- Drizzle melted butter over bread, sprinkle cheese over bread.
- Whisk 16 eggs with milk and wine, mustard and red pepper. Add onions over bread mixture. Now you can add chopped ham, bacon, artichokes, red peppers, spinach or any additional ingredients you prefer, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake with foil at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. When done, mix parmesan and sour cream and spread over casserole and return to oven without foil.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes until top is melted and colored.
- 10 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1.7 oz. can Chopped green chilies
- 4 cups Swiss, Cheddar, Colby, or Parmesan
- Salt, Pepper, Mrs. Dash to taste
- Spray Pam or butter a 10″ pie dish. Place all cheese in pan….any kind of mixture is fine. Sprinkle green chilies on top. Add Eggs and cream to larg mixing bowl and whip with a wire whip or mixer until well blended.
- Pour over cheeses and chilies. Cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate overnite. Remove from refigeratorm cover with tin foil that has been spreayed with Pam to prevent sticking.
- Bake about one hour at 350 degrees. Remove foil towards end of cooking time
- We make this in a 10″ rubber quiche pan…you can “filp” it when it is done for a very “impressive” dish!
Creme Brulee French Toast
- 1 loaf bread or croissants sliced
- 3 cup Milk
- 6 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 3/4 cups Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- Arrange enough bread slices (or Croissants cut in 1/2) to cover bottom of 13×9″ pan in a single layer. Layer remaining bread overlapping at an angle, over bottom layer.
- Whisk milk,with eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Evenly pour mixtur over bread as shown. Cover pan; refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven o 350. Bake 30 + minutes or until lightly browned and custard is set. Meanwhile, in a pot over low heat, melt butter with sugar and syrup, whisking occacionally. Remove casserole from oven. Evenly pour syrup over slices. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until bubbling. let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- Sometimes I add more milk and eggs….it makes the dish more “custard-like”
- This is the simplest way to get Rave Reviews….be prepared to give the recipe out, because they will ask! I use skim milk…you could even leave off the “Brulee” topping for a “slimmer” version. Enjoy!
- 2 cups Old fashioned oats
- 2 1/4 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Grape Nuts cereal
- 1/2 cup Wheat Germ
- 1/2 cup Oat bran
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 4 Sticks Butter
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 1 cup Almonds-toasted & chopped
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Dates-chopped and pitted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix oats, flour, Grape-Nuts, wheat germ, oat bran, and baking soda in a large bowl to blend. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add eggs, both sugars, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add cereal mixture, stir just till blended. Mix in almonds, raisins, and dates (Can be prepared 1 week ahead). Chill and let soften at room temp before baking.
- Grease baking sheets. Scoop 1/4 cup of dough onto prepared sheets, spacing mounds 2″ apart. Press cookies to 1/2″ thick. Bake unitl brown on top, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temp.
- ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!
From Suzanne Somers “Eat Great, Lose Weight or EGLW PUBLISHED 1996.
- 3# Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup butter or olive oil
- Juice from 3 to 4 Limes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Food Process or cut sprouts in half on a chopping block. Cut heach half into julienned strips.
Saute in Skillet with butter until tender…6 to 10 minutes. Season with lime juice salt and pepper.
Compliments of Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced large
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 Sweet potatoes peeled and diced medium
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 2/4 cup small pasta shells
- 4 cups roughly chopped mixed greens, such as kale and Swiss chard
- grated Parmesan, for serving
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes;season with salt and pepper. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes
Add sweet potatoes, broth, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook 3 minutes less than package instructions. reduce to a simmer, add greens, and cook until pasta is tender and greens are wilted, 4 minutes.
Serve with Parmesean